- Patient Care
Acute and Ambulatory Care Settings
Acute care pharmacy practices
The long and close relationship between the department’s faculty pharmacists and UCSF Health pharmacists is seen throughout UCSF’s acute care hospitals.
- Pharmacist specialists consult about patient cases and develop optimal medication treatment plans collaboratively with physicians and nurses.
- At the bedside, they review the effectiveness and safety of medication therapies.
- In the hospitals’ pharmacies, general practice medical center pharmacists work to ensure the right medication reaches the right patient at the right time.
- The Infectious Diseases Management Program at UCSF, which provides 7 day a week specialized consultation to UCSF Health hospital health care providers on the best use of antimicrobials, was developed as a partnership between the Department of Clinical Pharmacy and the UCSF Health Pharmacy Enterprise.
- Both the chair of the Department of Clinical Pharmacy and the chief pharmacy executive of UCSF Health hold administrative appointments in each other’s organizations.
- In the Care Transitions Outreach Program (CTOP) discharge follow up calls to patients, medication-related problems are triaged to faculty pharmacists.
- In addition to providing direct care for patients, specialized faculty pharmacists who practice in the UCSF Health serve on key committees, including the Medication Safety and Pharmacy and Therapeutics committees.
Specific Department of Clinical Pharmacy units provide UCSF Health with key services, such as:
- Medication Outcomes Center (MOC) — evidence based analysis on the safe, effective use of medications at UCSF Health and beyond.
Ambulatory care practices
Department of Clinical Pharmacy pharmacists provide comprehensive medication therapy management for chronic diseases in ambulatory clinics and physician practice groups at UCSF Health and beyond:
- Adult Diabetes Clinic at UCSF Health, Parnassus Heights campus
- Cardiac Rehabilitation and Wellness Center, Parnassus Heights campus
- Care Support Program, UCSF Health
- Women’s Health Center at UCSF Health, Parnassus Heights campus, Mission Bay campus
- Epilepsy Center at UCSF Health, Parnassus Heights campus
- Hepatitis Clinic at UCSF Health, Parnassus Heights campus
- Pediatric Oncology Clinic at UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital, Mission Bay campus
- Primary Care Clinic at UCSF Health, Multiple campuses
- Women’s HIV Program at UCSF Health, Parnassus Heights campus
Beyond UCSF Health
- CalOptima, Orange County, California
- Family Practice Center, Clinic and Inpatient Medical Service, University of California at Davis Medical Center
- Palo Alto Medical Foundation, Palo Alto, California
- Pharmacist Care Clinic, Family Health Center, Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital
- Santa Rosa Community Health Centers, HIV Services, Petaluma, California