- Patient Care
Acute and Ambulatory Care Settings
Acute care pharmacy practices
The long and close relationship between the department’s faculty pharmacists and UCSF Medical Center pharmacists is seen throughout UCSF’s acute care hospitals.
- At nursing stations, department and medical center pharmacist specialists consult about patient cases and develop treatment plans with physicians and nurses.
- At the bedside, they review the effectiveness of medication therapies.
- In the hospitals’ pharmacies, general practice medical center pharmacists work to ensure the right medication reaches the right patient at the right time.
- The Infectious Diseases Management Program at UCSF, which provides round-the-clock specialized consultation to UCSF Medical Center hospital health care providers on the best use of antimicrobials, was developed as a partnership between the Department of Clinical Pharmacy and the UCSF Medical Center’s Department of Pharmaceutical Services.
- In the Discharge Follow-up Call Program patients with medication-related problems are triaged to faculty pharmacists.
- Both the chair of the Department of Clinical Pharmacy and the director of the UCSF Medical Center’s Department of Pharmaceutical Services hold administrative appointments in each other’s departments.
- In addition to providing direct care for patients, specialized faculty pharmacists who practice in the UCSF Medical Center serve on key committees, including the Medication Safety and Pharmacy and Therapeutics committees.
Specific Department of Clinical Pharmacy units provide UCSF Medical Center with key services, such as:
- Medication Outcomes Center (MOC) — performs research toward the safe, effective use of medications at UCSF Medical Center and beyond
Ambulatory care practices
Department of Clinical Pharmacy pharmacists provide one-on-one medication therapy management in the pharmaceutical treatment of specific chronic diseases in ambulatory clinics and physician practice groups at UCSF Medical Center and beyond:
UCSF Medical Center
- Adult Diabetes Clinic at UCSF Medical Center, Parnassus Heights campus
- Cardiac Rehabilitation and Wellness Center, Parnassus Heights campus
- Care Support Program, UCSF Medical Center
- Depression Center at UCSF Medical Center, Parnassus Heights campus
- Epilepsy Subspecialty Clinic at UCSF Medical Center, Parnassus Heights campus
- Hepatitis Clinic at UCSF Medical Center, Parnassus Heights campus
- Pediatric Oncology Clinic at UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital, Parnassus Heights campus
- Primary Care Clinic at UCSF Medical Center, Mt. Zion campus
- Women’s HIV Program at UCSF Medical Center, Parnassus Heights campus
Beyond UCSF Medical Center
- CalOptima, Orange County, California
- Dignity Health and PRICE, Geriatrics, and Anticoagulation Clinics, Sacramento, California
- Family Practice Center, Clinic and Inpatient Medical Service, University of California at Davis Medical Center
- Palo Alto Medical Foundation, Palo Alto, California
- Pharmacist Care Clinic, Family Health Center, San Francisco General Hospital
- Santa Rosa Community Health Centers, HIV Services, Santa Rosa, California