Cutler, Timothy W., Pharm.D.
- Current Title(s):
- Associate Professor of Clinical Pharmacy
- Clinical Pharmacist, UC Davis Medical Center
- Director, Sacramento Experiential Program, UCSF School of Pharmacy
- First Year on UCSF Faculty: 2004
- Pharm.D., University of California, San Francisco, 2000
- Pharmacy Practice Residency, UC Davis Medical Center, 2001
- Licentiate in Pharmacy, 2000
- Medicare Outreach
- Medication Managment
University of California, San Francisco, School of Pharmacy
C-152, Box 0622, 521 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94143-0622
Phone: (916) 703-4006, Fax: (916) 703-4008, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Timothy Cutler is an associate professor in the UCSF School of Pharmacy’s Department of Clinical Pharmacy. Dr. Cutler joined the Department of Clinical Pharmacy, UCSF School of Pharmacy faculty in 2004. In this role he works as a clinical pharmacist in collaboration with the UC Davis Medical Center and is the Director of the Sacramento Experiential Program. There, he devotes much of his time to the fourth year pharmacy students placed at the UC Davis Medical Center and throughout Sacramento. He is currently working in a Medication Therapy Management Clinic with the UC Davis Medical Center where he works with seniors to improve their medication therapy and reduce out of pocket prescription drug costs. Dr. Cutler’s current research and practice foci are on geriatric pharmacy, medication therapy management, Medicare outreach and the development of new pharmacy curriculum.
From 2002 to 2004, Dr. Cutler was a consultant pharmacist for two skilled nursing facilities in Alaska. There he provided medication therapy review, federal and state regulation compliance, and participated in the medication therapy advisory committee. He has lectured at national, state and local conferences to pharmacists, nurses, and physicians on the topics of geriatrics, geriatric pharmacology, Medicare Part D, Medication Therapy Management and nursing home regulations. He has been organizing and giving Medicare Part D workshops to patients and providers since 2005.
Currently, Dr. Cutler is a co-investigator on a grant (called “Partners in D”, see www.partnersind.com) where he and colleagues develop Medicare Part D curricular innovations for dissemination to all schools of pharmacy in California. The goal of this project is to train student pharmacists so they can provide Medicare Outreach to seniors in underserved communities (low-income or non-English speaking), teach other health professionals about the policy implications of Medicare Part D and provide Medication Therapy Management in the ambulatory setting.
Dr. Cutler has also worked as a critical care pharmacist, ambulatory care pharmacist and a long-term care consultant. He is a faculty member with the American Society on Aging in the Substance Abuse among Older Adults educational program and a faculty scholar in the Northern California Geriatric Education Center. He was vice chair of the Kenai Peninsula Narcotics Taskforce in Soldotna, Alaska and has planned substance abuse awareness projects. Dr. Cutler earned a Doctorate of Pharmacy from UCSF in 2000 and completed a residency in pharmacy practice at the University of California, Davis Medical Center in 2001.
Selected Peer-reviewed Publications
- Patel R, Lipton HL, Cutler TW, Smith AR, Tsunoda SM, Stebbins MR. Cost-Minimization of Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan Expenditures. Amer J Manag Care 2009;15(8)
- Cutler T, Palmieri J, Khalsa M, Stebbins M. Evaluation of the Relationship Between a Chronic Disease Care Management Program and California Pay for Performance Diabetes Care Cholesterol Measures in One Medical Group. J Manag Care Pharm. 2007;13(7) 578-88.
- Stebbins MR, Cutler TW, Corelli RL, Smith AR, and Lipton HL. Evaluation of a Medicare Part D Community Outreach Train–the-Trainer Program for Pharmacy Faculty. AJPE 2009; 73 (3) Article 53.
- Cutler TW, Stebbins MR, Lai E, Smith AR, and Lipton HL. Problem-Based Learning Using the Online Medicare Part D Plan Finder Tool. AJPE 2008;72 (3) Article 47.
- Lipton, HL, Lai CJ, Cutler TW, Smith AR, and Stebbins MR. Peer-to-Peer Interprofessional Health Policy Education for Medicare Part D. AJPE 2010; 74 (6) Article 102.
- Book Chapters:
Cutler T and Stebbins M. Medication Management in Chronic Diseases. Chronic Disease Management, 1st edition; Nuovo J, ed. Springer USA. 2007
Stebbins MR, Cutler TW, and Parker PL. Assessment of Therapy and Medication Therapy Management. In Applied Therapeutics: The Clinical Use of Drugs. 9th edition. Koda-Kimble MA, Young LY, Kradjan WA, Guglielmo BJ, Alldredge BK, Corelli RL, Williams BR eds. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins: Baltimore, MD, 2008.